Trip Interruption For Any Reason - 2021 Review
Trip Interruption For Any Reason Insurance allows you to interrupt your trip for virtually "any" reason. The most common reasons travelers interrupt their trips are:
- Unforeseen illness of the traveler, traveling companion or non-traveling family member
- Accidental injury to the traveler, traveling companion or non-traveling family member
- Death of a traveler, traveling companion or non-traveling family member
All travel insurance policies cover the above reasons under standard Trip Interruption insurance coverage.
But what if something else interrupts your travel plans? Travel Interruption For Any Reason coverage adds a layer of financial protection for those problems.
No one wants to arrive at their destination, start having fun, and then have to leave unexpectedly. However, sometimes travelers change their minds and wish to return home.
Interruption For Any Reason permits the traveler to go home and receive some compensation.
Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector Plus – Interruption For Any Reason
Here's how it works:
If You interrupt Your Trip, 72 hours or more after Your actual Departure Date, for any reason not otherwise covered by this policy, benefits will be paid, up to the lesser of:
a) the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in Your Confirmation of Benefits; or
b) 75% the total amount of coverage You purchased, to reimburse You for unused non-refundable land or water Travel Arrangements; Plus the Additional Transportation Cost paid
c) to join Your Trip if You must depart after Your Scheduled Departure Date or travel via alternate travel arrangements by the most direct route possible to reach Your Trip destination (Airfare limited to the cost of one-way airfare using the same class of fare as the original travel ticket); or
d) to rejoin Your Trip or transport You to Your originally scheduled return destination, if You must interrupt Your Trip after departure, each by the most direct route possible (Airfare limited to the cost of one-way airfare using the same class of fare as the original travel ticket)
In summary, you can use Interruption For Any Reason after the first 72 hours of your trip elapsed.
You can return home and receive a 75% refund for the unused portion of the trip. This feature is helpful for long trips, but if you're just taking a long weekend getaway, Interruption For Any Reason is not useful.
Trip Interruption For Any Reason - Example
An excellent example of Interruption For Any Reason coverage would be if you rented a beach condo for two weeks. It looks beautiful and serene in the pictures and costs $2,000 per week. But when you arrive, construction vehicles obstruct the view, there are loud noises in the building every day, and the condo smells musty. The rental company won't compensate you.
You could use Interruption For Any Reason after 72 hours and receive 75% of the unused part of $4,000. In addition, the Worldwide Trip Protector Plus reimburses for some of the additional transportation costs returning home.
Who Needs Trip Interruption For Any Reason?
You probably think that if you had to interrupt your trip, it would be for the usual reasons listed in the policy. But consider:
- Your pet is injured or dies while you're on vacation. You may wait until the end of your trip to return, or you'll want to get home as soon as possible.
- You get to the third day of a 7-night cruise, and the cabin you booked is not the 5-star accommodations you expected. You also find out you become easily seasick, and cruising just isn't for you. You may stick it out, but with Trip Interruption For Any Reason coverage, you don't have to.
- What if an offer on your house came in during your 14-day vacation? The buyers want to close immediately, so the only time you can sign the paperwork is during the vacation.
- You have a panic attack, and urgently must get home. Panic attacks are not covered under a regular interruption coverage, as you must be hospitalized with a mental or nervous condition for coverage under the standard Trip Interruption coverage.
- The week-long destination wedding you planned to go to turns into a dramatic disaster, and your daughter is left at the altar. Interruption For Any Reason lets you go home early and comfort your daughter as she sorts through her trauma.
- You go to Europe for a month and have a visa. Four days into the trip, you cross the border into another country, they don't recognize the visa and deny you entry. You can go home early with Interruption For Any Reason.
- Suppose you are doing missionary work in South America when a global pandemic breaks out. You're only a week into your project, but it seems like it would be best to return early and ride out the pandemic at home. Pandemics are not covered by travel insurance, so Interruption For Any Reason is ideal.
There are hundreds of scenarios that could leave you wanting or needing to interrupt your travels. Trip Interruption For Any Reason coverage gives you peace of mind.
Cancel For Any Reason and Interruption For Any Reason
All policies with travel Interruption For Any Reason coverage also include Cancel For Any Reason. There are some similarities and differences between these two features.
Let's look at the policy wording:
Cancel For Any Reason - If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this policy, benefits will be paid for 75% of the Prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip provided:
- a) Your Payment for this policy and enrollment form are received within 21 days of the date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received;
- b) You insure 100% of the Prepaid Trip Costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure within 21 days of the Payment or Deposit for those Travel Arrangements the cost of any subsequent Travel Arrangements (or any other Travel Arrangements not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip; and
- c) You cancel Your Trip 48 hours or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date.
Similarities - Cancel for Any Reason and Interruption For Any Reason
- Both Cancel For Any Reason and Interruption For Any Reason will cover situations not listed under standard Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption.
- Both Cancel For Any Reason and Interruption For Any Reason will reimburse up to 75% of prepaid and non-refundable Trip Costs.
- There are time sensitive
requirements to use these benefits:
- Cancel For Any Reason must occur more than 48 hours before your departure date.
- Interruption For Any Reason must be used 72 hours after your departure date.
- To qualify for Cancel/Interruption For Any Reason coverage, you must insure 100% of all prepaid and non-refundable Trip Costs.
- You must purchase the policy within 21 days of the initial trip payment. Then, it covers Cancel For Any Reason and Interruption For Any Reason
The major difference between the two coverage is that Cancel For Any Reason is a pre-departure benefit, and Interruption For Any Reason is a post-departure benefit.
How Much Does Trip Interruption For Any Reason Insurance Cost?
Adding Interruption For Any Reason can increase the cost of the policy by 40-50%.
In the case of Worldwide Trip Protector Plus, it's almost identical to the mid-range Worldwide Trip Protector. But, it offers Cancel/Interruption For Any Reason and a few other nice benefits.
For example, a couple from the US aged 59 and 65 is traveling to France for 14 days with a trip cost of $4,000. With Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector Plus, they would pay $208 for a plan without Interruption For Any Reason, and $312 with the coverage.
General Travel Insurance Recommendations
We recommend that all travelers consider travel insurance. You don't know what could happen to put your trip investment at risk.
Also, we suggest you buy early, within 15 days of paying your initial trip payment. Then, all the Time Sensitive benefits are available, like the Pre-existing Medical Conditions Waiver and Bankruptcy of the travel supplier.
Essentially, a Pre-existing Medical Condition is any condition for which:
- You received an exam, treatment or testing
- The doctor recommend an exam, treatment or testing not yet complete
- You received a new or change in medication
in the 60-180 days (depending on the plan you choose) before buying travel insurance.
Most plans will only care about conditions that occurred in the 60 days before purchasing the trip insurance policy.
However, some policies look back as far as 180 days. Make sure you know what you're getting before you purchase.
Travel Medical Insurance
We base the recommendation on the fact that most private health insurance covers little or no treatment outside the US. Also, seniors take note: Medicare does not pay for medical expenses that occur abroad.
Some Medicare supplements offer a lifetime benefit of $50,000 medical insurance. However, it's for life-threatening emergencies only, and you must pay a deductible and 20% ($10,000) coinsurance. Of course, if treatment exceeds $50,000, you pay for 100% of it out-of-pocket. Fortunately, travel medical insurance is inexpensive and fills these gaps.
If you enroll in travel insurance within the Time Sensitive period (usually within 10-21 days of the initial deposit), you'll be eligible for the Waiver of Pre-existing Medical Conditions.
You can compare all the benefits in a policy to get the best value for your travel needs. AARDY helps you compare dozens of the top travel plans from the largest US travel insurers.
Will I Pay More Buying Travel Insurance From a Comparison Website?
Wondering if you can get a better deal directly with the insurance company? The answer is no.
With AARDY, you pay the same price as advertised on the insurer's site. You will always get the best value from us because we are not allowed to compete on the cost of "filed" insurance products. No one is.
We Are Here to Help
AARDY is the world's fastest insurance marketplace. We provide high-quality travel insurance plans from the nation's leading travel insurance carriers. All of our insurers received an A.M. Best rating with at least an 'A' (Excellent) rating for financial strength.
Recent AARDY Travel Insurance Customer Reviews